Lorenzo Lotto, Nativity 1523
I hope everyone has had a beautiful and merry Christmas!
And...
I have a special Christmas exhibition for you...
A few weeks ago I visited Bergamot Station in Santa Monica; I have been intending to write about several of the exhibitions there, but I have not gotten around to doing it... Well... I promise more to come, but as we celebrate Christmas today I wanted to mention one in particular...
The Toy Show at the Lora Schlesinger Gallery:
Michael Beck, Leaving Home
Unfortunately, this exhibition has just recently closed. However, you can still see most of the work online on the gallery's website.
As with any group show, there are highlights and... shall we say... not so highlights. But all in all, it is an enjoyable collection of work, loosely based around the subject matter of toys, and truly taking the subject in a variety of directions. From Michael Beck's whimsically innocent photorealist paintings of old-fashioned toys (pictured above), to Mike Tracy's disturbingly subversive paintings including expressive distortions of Mickey Mouse. From Michael Gregg Michaud's pop culture influences, to Doug Webb's socio-political commentaries. And from Michael Kenna's nostalgic photo prints of handmade dolls, to Bruce Houston's smart and playfull re-imagining of Stella and Mondrian as modular semi-trailers.
But of all the work in the show, a collection of three figurative/narrative paintings by Kimberly Merrill truly stole the show! (one is pictured below) This small group of paintings depicting the innocent musings of a marionnette have such a gentle quality to them! They quietly draw you in to dwell in a simpler time... I could stay there for hours!
Kimberly Merrill, Narcissus
Well... Merry Christmas to you all!
p.s. - I intend to add new artshow recommendations, and some new photo sets very soon, so please check back!



No comments:
Post a Comment