12.11.2007

Two must-see shows in LA



1. Gordon Matta-Clark: You are the Measure at MOCA (Grand Ave)





While searching for the images included here, I came across another blogger who had the perfect one-line comment on Matta-Clark... so I'm stealing it: "Gordon Matta-Clark's life and work were the very model of a youthful aspiration not based on selling stuff (also known as the art business), while not unduly divorced from making things."

Most commonly known for his "building cuts" including Office Baroque and Splitting (both shown above), Matta-Clark is an artist who I had previously dismissed as an eccentric most likely known only because of the audacious nature of his oft unsanctioned projects; but this exhibition has opened my eyes to see his work in an entirely new context.

I think his work is most easily described as deconstructive, but not in the hopelessly groundless sense that Deconstruction can often effect, rather he is constantly deconstructing barriers of all types, critically calling attention to the boundaries of our expectation, and consistently punching holes in them.


Be sure not to miss the facinatingly entertaining Fake Estates group of works (one pictured here); and look to find Decending the Steps for Batan, clearly the most moving work in this show (named after his deceased brother, and executed only months before his own death), the liminal exploration in Descending... will alter your undestanding of his entire body of work.



2. Francis Alys: Politics of Rehearsal at UCLA Hammer

Unfortunately, I didn't have much time to explore this exhibition. ... Fortunately, it didn't take long for Alys' video works to capture my attention! I will be returning to the Hammer to give this exhibition appropriate time... you should go too! (The images below are still frames captured from his video works.)

No comments: