3.30.2008

A few things that have come and gone...

I have been a bad blogger... If anyone out there actually checks this regularly, I apologize for my lapse in updates. Since beginning my graduate studies this semester, I have found myself very short on the free time required to post. Sorry... I will do what I can, when I can... I primarily started this as a means for my own personal organization (having an accessible record and means to remember interesting art that I encounter), while still having a forum to share current work, etc.

So... if you will permit me...
I will briefly note a few exhibitions that are already well gone... just for my own record.

Subsumere: Assemblage
@ Grand Central Art Center in Santa Ana
Featuring: Barry Krammes, Rebecca Edwards and Janice Lowry
February 2 - February 24, 2008


This was a great little exhibition featuring the work of 3 artists all working my means of assemblage. In particular, it is the new work of Barry Krammes that I found absolutely incredible! Though the presentation by Janice Lowry of many (probably hundreds) of vials of water collected from all around the world was also very facinating!


A New Cosmopolitanism:
February 5th through March 7th, 2008


This show had great promise... but to be honest... overall it was a little bit of a let down. I think the theme is really strong, and the advertising postcards and signs were very intriguing, but from the long list of included artists... there were really only three that I felt resonated strongly. The ink drawings of Sandeep Mukherjee, the leaf photos of Binh Dahn, and the photography of Steven B. Shore (not pictured).


Metaphor
@ Orange County Center for Contemporary Art in Santa Ana
Featuring: Rebecca Erbstoesser, Linda Southwell, Vicky Hanrahan & Maneli Jodat
January 31st – February 23rd, 2008


Another show that was a bit hit and miss... it was particularly the graphic drawings of Rebecca Erbstoesser (do yourself a favor and don't read her titles... they are overly simplistic and don't do justice to the complex interplay of symbols in her work) and the innovative constructions of Vicky Hanrahan that were of interest to me.

No comments: