Paula Scher, The United States, 2007
Spurred initially by my aerial photos depicting our structual grid imposed on the organic landscape, I have taken to incorporating satellite imagery in my most recent works (still in progress... sorry, no preview).
Apparently, this facination with our understanding of the landscape is not unique to me! My mentor/advisor Eileen Cowin recently presented at a conference in Chicago where she stumbled upon an exhibition at the Chicago Cultural Center (this is aparently part of a city-wide "Festival of Maps"). The show, entitled HereThereEverywhere, brings together artists who are addressing "the concept of boundaries and 'place,' and will explore ways in which their world is represented geographically, politically and aesthetically."
I haven't seen the exhibition (I only have the brochure Ms. Cowin brought back for me), but it looks really exciting! And it seems very in line with many of the ideas I have been exploring!

No comments:
Post a Comment